Sunday 26 May 2013

Living like a local! =)

So as I arrived to Labasa, I realized there was still a whole different part of Fiji left for me to experience.

I was provided with a cute little apartment in a gated area with two other apartments. Right when we arrived, one of the neighbors came to greet us and help us out with any questions/issues that came up along the way. I asked what my address is so I know how to tell the taxi driver how to get home… my Address: House with the white gate next to NTL garage.

My Front Porch
My living room/kitchen

My Bedroom


My bathroom














As we explored town, I started noticing a lot about the shops and products found here. One thing that I found completely surprising is that milk is sold in boxes on the shelf, not in the refrigerator. Also, I think America can benefit from cigarette box labels like the ones here. Above all, I’m famous here (kind of), Patel shops everywhere! =)




It was now time to start living like a local. The day I arrived, I did a load of laundry at my neighbor’s place; as my clothes were in the washing machine, I looked around and wondered, where’s the second machine? Line drying it is! A couple days later, I asked my neighbor where we put our garbage and he says, “ in the pit.” Me, “what do you mean?” Him, “ there’s a huge whole in the back, and we keep throwing our garbage there, and when it fills up, we burn it.”

OMG... are those my clothes!

Fire pit in the back yard

Soon enough we were living like locals, shopping like a local, living like a local, and getting around the city like a local.

No we did not climb through the windows like them ... not that local!










And some food for thought and other interesting pictures, Enjoy!


Off it!







The wheelchair











Better watch out, you're in Labasa!
(photo compliments of Dr. Noland)

No comments:

Post a Comment